About Education International
Education International is the world’s largest sectoral Global Union Federation that brings together organisations of teachers and other education employees from across the world. Through our 383 member unions and organisations, we represent more than 32 million teachers and education support personnel in 178 countries and territories in a shared mission to achieve quality education for all.
Based in the global secretariat in downtown Brussels, the Events, IT, and Administration Unit provides support to the professional and elected leadership in the realisation and implementation of EI’s strategic objectives. The diverse, international, and highly professional staff is central to EI’s efforts to influence and lead global policy-making, and to defend and promote the rights of teachers and other educators.
The Assistant will join a dynamic and collegial unit, interacting at the highest professional levels with the staff of global governmental, non-governmental and partner organisations. The successful applicant will have some experience in organizing both in-person and online events and in assisting with logistical, technical, and IT-related tasks. They will demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with diverse colleagues from around the world, bringing a hands-on attitude, strong initiative, and judgement to the job.
About the role
Reporting to the Director of IT, Administration, and Events or to any other person designated to this end by EI General Secretary, the Administrative Assistant provides a broad spectrum of administrative support, in particular in relation to both online and in-person events, and assists with logistical, technical, and information technology-related tasks across the office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the logistical and administrative organization of EI conferences, congresses, governance meetings, and other events
- Support the use of technical equipment and software necessary for live streaming and the general implementation of both online and in-person meetings
- Assist with general technical and procedural aspects of information technology and data management in the various EI backend, frontend, and server environments
- Assist with registration workflows and travel arrangements for events and missions
- Provide general administrative support to specific individuals or units
- Other related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned
- Organized, proactive and efficient
- Excellent communication skills, able to work both as a team member as well as independently
- Fast learner, proactive, able to anticipate emerging needs
- Advanced understanding of Office 365 software, including word processing, spreadsheets, flows, databases. Knowledge of the MS Azure environment and Linux servers is an asset
- Knowledge of live streaming soft- and hardware and experience with technical equipment for both online and in-person meetings is a distinct advantage
- Knowledge of event registration systems is welcome
- Knowledge of travel management and booking systems is helpful
- Full-time position.
- Normal office hours apply from Monday to Friday, though some flexibility is desirable in recognition of the international nature of the organization. Work that falls outside normal hours during the week, and at the weekend may be expected. There may be a requirement to travel to attend meetings and functions.
- Diploma or degree in a related field.
- Some experience in a similar role is welcome.
- Ability to work in English, with additional fluency in French and/or Dutch. Knowledge of any additional language is an asset. Proficiency in Arabic is a distinct advantage.
- Experience in a not-for-profit or trade union environment is an additional asset.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Salary and conditions of service are in accordance with the Education International collective agreement, which defines a competitive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and based on pre-established salary ranges. This position is subject to Belgian fiscal regulations.
- The post-holder will be based at the EI Head Office in Brussels, but the fulfilment of the duties and responsibilities may require some foreign travel.
- The appointment will be made from an agreed date upon the completion of the selection and appointment process.
All EI staff are accountable to the General Secretary, either directly or through designated staff members. If the needs of the organisation so require, staff members may be requested to perform appropriate duties related to another position, either on a temporary or permanent basis, provided that these duties correspond to the level of their position and that their professional experience and training is adequate. Position descriptions are not definitive and may be adapted.
How to apply
Applications must include a resume (CV) and a cover letter outlining in detail how the candidate meets the criteria for appointment set out above. All applications will be treated confidentially. Please address your application to the EI General Secretary and submit it by sending it to [email protected] by 17:00 Brussels time on Friday 23 September 2022.
EI is committed to the principles of employment equity and to diversity in its workforce.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.