The EI Secretariat is run by a staff of fifty people who are committed to working in the interest of public education and education personnel. Our staff members work in both the headquarters in Brussels, Belgium as well as in our regional offices in St Lucia, Ghana, Malaysia and Costa Rica. We are looking for dedicated individuals who possess not only the relevant experience and professionalism, but also the following core competence:
Working conditions are in accordance with the Education International collective agreement. Education International offers employee benefits including medical, life and disability insurance, a retirement plan and generous holiday and leave benefits. EI is an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate against gender, national or ethnic origins, sexual orientation, disability and age. However, due to the international character of our organisation, emphasis is given to geographical balance when recruiting.
Internship opportunities are available from time to time. Please feel free to contact us to see if an internship position is available.
African Regional Office (Accra, Ghana)
Notice of Vacancy for a Regional Coordinator
To work as part of the team in the EI Africa Regional Office implementing EI policies and activities at regional level, including the provision of assistance to organisations involved in development co-operation, maintaining contacts with member organisations, reporting to head office on regional developments and organising meetings of regional governing bodies. The co-ordinator assists and works under the supervision of the Chief Regional Co-ordinator in fulfilling this role.
The person appointed will be required:
- to implement development programmes and activities across the region. They will be based in the Regional office in Accra, Ghana but will be required to undertake a significant amount of travel within the region;
- to work, in collaboration with other EI staff at regional and head office level, in advocating and implementing EI’s policies and working programmes;
- to undertake missions to, and consultations with, EI’s member organisations in the region and regional governing and non-governing bodies;
- to participate in the development of co-operation development projects, to co-ordinate and assist in the implementation of such projects and to ensure the application of EI’s policies in respect of development co-operation activities;
- to assist in the preparation and organisation of EI Regional Committee and Regional Conference meetings and of other regional meetings, such as seminars, round tables, etc.;
- to assist with the administration of the EI Regional Office;
- to undertake such other appropriate tasks as are assigned from time to time;
- to acquire and maintain relevant professional knowledge and skills by participating in appropriate training and other activities as required from time to time.
- Self-motivated and systematic;
- Good organisational and analytical skills;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Ability to collaborate and to work independently;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
Education and Professional experience
- A university degree or its equivalent in education or a field related to the duties and responsibilities;
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is an essential qualification for the post. Fluency in French would be a significant advantage. A knowledge of other regional languages would also be advantageous;
- At least five years’ relevant experience and, especially, experience of working in trade unions and/or in international organisations and/or in the development co-operation and/or education area;
- Knowledge and skills in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and of information technology.
Salary and Conditions of Service
An attractive salary, pension and conditions package will apply to the post. Appointment will be to an appropriate point of Regional Coordinator Salary Scale, depending on professional qualifications and experience. Assistance with accommodation costs and relocation expenses are available. Details will be supplied on application.
All EI staff are accountable to the General Secretary, either directly or through designated staff members. The person appointed to this post will work under the direct supervision of the Chief Regional Co-ordinator for Africa. Position descriptions are not definite and may be adapted.
Applications, including a CV and covering letter, outlining in detail how the candidate meets the criteria set out above and containing details of professional qualifications and experience, should be submitted in confidence to : Raphaël Van Woensel (email@example.com) to reach him not later than: Friday, 2nd December, 2016. Candidates should also supply the names and contact details of two persons who are known to them and would be willing to supply professional and personal references.