On 30 June, with the delivery of the last chair to a new elementary school in Aceh, EI fulfilled its promise to the Acehnese people given two and a half years ago that it would rebuild 28 of its schools.Back in January 2005, EI set up a Tsunami Rehabilitation Programme in partnership with NOVIB (Oxfam Netherlands) to restore education back in the areas affected by the Indian Ocean tsunami in December 2004. Entitled "Rebuilding Aceh through Education For All", the programme aimed to rebuild 28 elementary schools that had been completely destroyed. Apart from the recontruction of schools, it also aimed to:
- supply the necessary furniture and other requirement for the reconstructed schools;
- identify, select and provide teacher training, especially in the new curricula;
- implement short-term courses to overcome shortage of teachers in specific subjects;
- provide scholarships to about 4000 pupils over a period of 2 years;
- provide counseling and specialised training for returning teachers to help themselves and their pupils.