Education International’s Asia-Pacific regional office has carried out workshops in Tajikistan on trade union basics and on child labour to help boost trade union strength, and to ensure access to education for all.
The workshop on trade union basics, held from 20-22 August in Darvos, Tajikistan, gathered 28 trade unionists from the Education International (EI) affiliate, the Republican Trade Union Committee of Education and Science Workers (RC-STES).
It aimed at helping participants to:
- Discuss the role of teachers’ unions in the market economy;
- Conduct an analysis of the existing situation of education in Tajikistan;
- Debate challenges/problems faced by teachers, children and schools in the Gorno Badakshan oblast (region) and identify possible solutions;
- Understand the basic concepts and principles of leadership;
- Be sensitised on issues of teacher union’s internal work, leadership and administration
- Understand the programs and activities of EI and its partners;
- Share information and review the essential components and strategies of the campaign for Education for All (EFA);
- Conduct an analysis of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats; and
- Develop an individual plan to be implemented at school/workplace level.
“This workshop was much needed and profitable to participating education unionists, as many of them, living in remote areas, are cut off from key information and developments in education and trade union by the distance and poor communication means,” explained Jerome Fernandez, EI Regional Asia-Pacific Coordinator.
From 23-25 August, 30 RC-STES education unionists took part in a workshop on child labour and EFA, held in Kulyab, in the Khatlon oblast identified as having a high rate of child labour.
By the end of the workshop, participants had:
- Identified the areas in Kulyab where child labour is prevalent;
- Discussed the children’ school attendance and its correlation to child labour;
- Debated the role the local teachers’ union should play in reducing /eliminating child labour; and
- Planned an activity to be undertaken at rayon (district) level to reduce/eradicate child labour and achieve Education for All.