World Day against Child Labour 2012
World Day against Child Labour, 12 June 2012
This year again, Education International joins the World Day against Child Labour (WDACL) activities organised around 12 June 2012. EI encourages teacher unions to also contribute with public activities in their country to end child labour and promote education opportunities for all children.
2012 will mark the 10th anniversary of the World Day against Child Labour. The ILO launched the first World Day in 2002 as a way to highlight the plight of working children and to serve as a catalyst for the growing worldwide movement against child labour. This year the World Day will provide a spotlight on the right of all children to be protected from child labour and from other violations of fundamental human rights.
Teacher unions have been pioneers in the movement to prevent and eliminate child labour. In the past years, many EI affiliates have carried out successful campaigns in their country - for example, in Albania, Brazil, Ghana or Morocco. These unions consider the fight against child labour to be a core component of the right to education advocacy.
Campaign: One Hour against Child Labour
EI, in collaboration with the Programme for the Elimination of Child Labour of the International Labour Organisation (ILO-IPEC), launches the campaign‘One hour against child labour’.
EI has developed an educational and interactive campaign material to be used globally by teacher unions, their members and students to undertake activities around child labour issues. The campaign kit includes an activity, a poster and pencils and is available for download on this webpage.
The‘One hour against child labour’ activity can be undertaken in schools, classrooms, staff rooms, union offices and union meetings. This activity is to be considered as a starting point for a year-long involvement in the fight against child labour at various levels – at individual level, in unions, classrooms, communities, as well as at national and global levels.
- Activity: One Hour against Child Labour (pdf)
- Poster One Hour against Child Labour (pdf)
- Activity: One Hour against Child Labour (Arabic)
- Poster One Hour against Child Labour (Arabic)
- Poster One Hour against Child Labour (Khmer)
- Poster One Hour against Child Labour (Hindi)
- Poster - Text only (word)
- Video: "Zara's Letter"
- ILO-IPEC website
- ILO-IPEC national offices
- WDACL 2011 - EI/IPEC Publication: "Warning! Children in hazardous work"
- WDACL 2010 - EI/IPEC Publication: “Go for the Goal: End Child Labour”
- WDACL 2009 - EI/IPEC Publication: "Give girls a chance: End child labour"
- WDACL 2009 - EI/IPEC Publication: "Give girls a chance: End child labour - Classroom activities"
- WDACL 2008 - EI/IPEC Publication: "Quality education is the right response to child labour"
- WDACL 2008 - EI/IPEC Publication: "Quality education is the right response to child labour: A resource for teachers and educators"
- WDACL 2007 - EI/IPEC Publication: "Child labour: Quality education is the right response"