Social dialogue and quality education in East Africa
The project has national as well as regional elements. The national elements are described in separate counrty sheets (Rwanda, Burundi and Zanzibar). The regional elements consist in 1-2 regional annual conferences for all the teacher unions, and they deal with themes such as education policy, strategy development, teachers’ working conditions, service to the members, quality in education etc.
DLF’s cooperation with KNUT started in in 1982, the TTU cooperation in 1995 and the cooperation with ZATU and UNATU started in 2003. The project has been regional since 2008. UNATU has chosen only to participate in the regional cooperation.
In 2009, the DLF initiated cooperation with the teacher unions in Rwanda and Burundi. The aim was to strengthen the unions and to prepare the young and relatively unexperienced teacher unions for being included in the regional project cooperation.
The current phase started in 2022 and will be concluded in 2023.
The aim is to strengthen the unions and to prepare the young and relatively unexperienced teacher unions for being included in the regional project cooperation.
The teacher unions share knowledge and experiences, and support each other in South-South cooperation.
Annual conferences for all the teacher unions.
- 2022 – 2025
- Implementing Organizations
- Burundi - Syndicat Libre des Travailleurs de l'Enseignement du Burundi (STEB)
- Kenya - Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT)
- Rwanda - Syndicat des Enseignants et Autres Personnels de l'Education (SYNEDUC)
- Tanzania - Tanzania Teachers' Union (TTU)
- Tanzania - Zanzibar Teachers Union (ZATU)
- Uganda - Uganda National Teachers Union (UNATU)
- Federation of East African Teachers’ Unions (FEATU)
- Cooperation Partners
- Levels of education
- Education personnel