Women’s participation in teachers’ unions in EI ACCRS region is currently low. Lack of active women’s structures within the unions that can effectively increase women’s participation and gender equality in unions’ structures and policies. Recent attempts to establish an active EI women’s network across the ACCRS have met with little success.
The Gender Action Learning is an approach to organisational change, based on experimental, peer-based learning techniques to enable organisations to change gender power dynamics internally and in their programmatic work. The 18-month programme aims to provide training and support to affiliates to address gender equality issues within the unions.
The second step in the GAL process is for the unions to identify a change team (up to 6 people, 50/50 gender ratio), who will be responsible for developing ‘change experiments’, that will be implemented during the programme. The change teams of both unions will receive support from Gender at Work associates.
- Increase organisational understanding of women’s participation and gender equality issues;
- Increase key male union leaders’ understanding ofgender equality issues within the union;
- Further develop the capacity of the female members to participate more fully and equally within their unions.
Three peer learning workshops over the 18-month period are planned, during which the change teams will share and learn from each other’s experiences of implementing change experiments in their respective unions. The first of these peer workshops has taken place in March 2018.
Participants gained a deeper understanding of some of the gender equality issues that have arisen within their unions; they reflected on their responsibility and their role as individuals, and the role of their respective unions in addressing gender inequalities. Participants also began to identify possible actions to take, at individual, union and community levels in this regard.
- 2017 – 2019
- 2 Organisations de mise en œuvre
- 4 Partenaires de coopération
- Norvege Suede Education International Gender at Work
- Catégories de personnels de l’éducation