Resolution on the Situation in Oaxaca, Mexico
The 5th World Congress of Education International (EI), meeting in Berlin (Germany) 22 to 26 July 2007,
1. That an acute conflict between the government of the State of Oaxaca and the teacher union has been developing for over one year;
2. That the government of the State of Oaxaca, with the support of the Mexican national government, has harshly repressed teacher union and social movements, resulting in deaths, torture and imprisonment;
3. That during the previous phase of the conflict 25 individuals were murdered, among them several teachers, and that none of these murders have been investigated, and none of those responsible have been punished, while many teachers remain imprisoned and subject to legal action.
The Fifth World Congress agrees,
1. To demand that the Oaxaca and Mexican governments release all those who have been injustly detained during all stages of the conflict;
2. To demand the investigation of all assassinations committed and the prosecution of those responsible;
3. To demand that the national and state governments immediately begin negotiations with Section 22 of SNTE Oaxaca and quickly find an expedient solution to the teacher union conflict in Oaxaca.