The inaugural meeting of the new Council of Global Unions (CGU) is taking place today in Brussels, Belgium. The creation of the CGU marks a new milestone in the organisation and functioning of the international trade union movement.
Attending the meeting are representatives from the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC), the Global Union Federations (GUF) as well as the Trade Union Advisory Committee to the OECD (TUAC). The Global Unions Federations are:
- Education International (EI)
- Building and Wood Workers International (BWI)
- International Textile, Garment and Leather Workers Federation (ITGLWF)
- Public Services International (PSI)
- International Federation of Chemical, Energy, Mine and General Workers'Unions (ICEM)
- International Transport Workers' Federation (ITF)
- Internation Union of Food workers (IUF)
- Union Network International (UNI)
- International Arts Entertainment Alliance (IAEA)
- International Federation of Journalists (IFJ)
The participants in the meeting saw the official ratification of the Agreement on the formation of the Council by the ITUC, GUFs and TUAC.